Never happy with the store bought stuff, or perhaps you never wanted pineapple on pizza? Or maybe there’s just never enough of cheese? Why not just make your own?
Never happy with the store bought stuff, or perhaps you never wanted pineapple on pizza? Or maybe there's just never enough of cheese? Why not just make your own?
In a small mixing bowl mix the water, sugar and yeast together and wait for about 15mins until the yeast bubbles and activate.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the salt and flour, then combine the 'yeast' solution to your flour (wet into dry) and mix and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Set aside and cover with a moist tea towel, set aside somewhere nice, warm and moist to let it proof to double its size. This may take and hour or so.
When complete, take it out, knock it down and dust a clean working surface. Divide your dough into 2 large pizzas, and roll in into thin bases.
Let your rolled pizza bases re-proof another 15minutes before you add you napolitana sauce, followed by all your toppings.
Pre-heat your oven to 210 deg C, place your pizza to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until dough and toppings are cooked.
- Yeast: Instant yeast would be the easiest to get your hands on - its available in most good supermarkets, however, fresh yeast is easier to work with and much better smelling.
- Flour: You could use stronger flour, but generally any general purpose (not self raising) would work well.
- Proofing: Its essential you be patient at this stage. You want tiny (or large) bubble to form in the dough. This make the pizza base fluffy, airy and soft!
- Sauces: In the recipe above its a napolitana sauce, but its up to you! Cream cheese base sauces, Meat Sauces, Thick Vegetable Creams, even vegetable purees will work.
- Toppings: Go for your life! Mushrooms, bacon, pork belly, chicken breast, smoked duck, asparagus, broccoli, argula, smoked salmon, tuna, prawns, crab - its really endless. Just think of how the sauce vs topping taste profile you want to build.
- Cheese: Mozzarella is by definition default, funk it up a little with some goats cheese, salt parmesan, melty emmental or gooey brie - or even some greek feta!
- Dessert: Think that pizza is only for main meals? I dare you to try a chocolate sauce base, with bananas and sprinkles as toppings!